Thursday, March 17, 2022

Entry #7: Confession - I Can't Spell

Before these readings, I had never heard the term "invented spelling" (Tompkins, 2017, p. 170). The concept didn't seem all that radical, so I was a bit surprised - and then not surprised - at the controversy surrounding it. 

(Why was I then not surprised? Because we love to make everything controversial.)

Invented spelling, as described by Stahl et al. (1998), is when "children invent their own spellings in their writings, using what they know about letters and sounds" (p. 343). Basically, children spell as best they can with what they already know, rather than using dictation or memorization to spell words. The teacher doesn't correct the spellings, as it is more about developing phonics (in relation to spelling) than perfection.

By using invented spelling, children develop better phonemic and graphophonemic awareness, as long as they are also receiving spelling instruction. As they receive instruction and their awareness increase, their invented spellings become more conventional. Spelling also improves through increased time spent reading and writing - exposure and practice are always important factors in learning, in my opinion.

So what's the big deal about this? Well, many think that students are developing bad spelling habits (Tompkins, 2017) or do not learn how to spell conventionally (Stahl et al., 1998). 

And I get it. It looks like that. The spelling is going to be riddled with errors as they are learning. But isn't that just learning? We do it wrong until we learn the skills necessary to do it right. Isn't it better that they are practicing how to do it themselves and understand why things are the way they are rather than just being told what to do? I'd much rather have students practice invented spelling and spell something phonetically - where I can see they understand the connection between sounds and letters - than have them used memorized words or have it dictated to them. You know what you learn when someone does things for you? Practically nothing. 

Furthermore, if we can make sense out of what they are writing, does it really matter all that much? I think the content of what they are writing is more important than the conventions. And with the rise of technology, I feel like the need for perfect spelling is diminishing. I think I've misspelled about an eighth of the words I wrote for this post (including the word misspelled!), and you can't tell at all. It's gotten to the point that the only times I am physically writing is when I am taking notes for myself (in which case, only I have to understand what is written) and when I am writing letters to my friend in Germany (and half the time I type out my letters before I write them because I want to get my thoughts organized beforehand). 

I'm not saying spelling is unimportant. I think it is more important, though, for students to figure it out for themselves. We teach the skills they need - word patterns, affixes, roots, things like that - and how to proofread well, but we shouldn't worry all that much. It is something that will develop through exposure and practice.

And if it doesn't? That's what spellcheck is for.

References

Stahl, S.A., Duffy-Hester, A.M., & Stahl, K.A.D. (1998). Everything you wanted to know about phonics (but were afraid to ask). Reading Research Quarterly, 33(3), 338-355. https://doi.org/10.1598/RRQ.33.3.5

Tompkins, G.E. (2017).  Literacy for the 21st century: A balanced approach (7th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.

3 comments:

  1. I like the tone you are taking in this entry, Sarah. I will share with you that since the time Tompkins published her book, there has been a change from describing what emergent writer do from "inventive spelling" to "phonetic spelling." The benefit of describing their work as phonetic spellers indicates that they are using their knowledge of phonics (even if it may be incomplete).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point Sarah! Technology really changes the need to be perfect spellers to get a point across.

    ReplyDelete

Entry #11: This Is The End *cues Adele's "Skyfall"*

Reflections on Content We dove deeper into a variety of topics within literacy development this semester, and these are just a few that stoo...