Saturday, February 12, 2022

Entry #4: Three, Two, One - Let's Get Lit-erate

3 Ideas I Am Now Pondering


I think I already mentioned that I am low-key obsessed with Muhammad's (2020) Historically Responsive Literary (HRL) Framework, so it's no surprise that I started comparing Tompkins' (2017) nine principles of effective teachers to it right away. It is quickly clear that they are approaching literacy from different perspectives. There is very little focus on identity meaning-making or criticality, two of HRL's four components. Many of the Tompkins' (2017) principles focused on best teaching skills and information to the students, aligning with HRL's skills and intellect components. The closest references to criticality and identity were found in the section on sociolinguistics within the principle focused on understanding learning theories and on the section discussing English learners in the principle talking about instruction. 

Speaking of the section discussion English learners in Tompkins (2017), I was very curious about the placement. It was placed fully within the section on instruction. However, I believe that it cannot and should not be confined to one principle. Being an effective teacher to English learners is not just a matter of instruction. It involves all of the principles. For example, an effective literacy teacher for English learners needs to know relevant second language acquisition theories and second language teaching theories, just as they would need to know learning theories, something that is discussed in principle one. Cueing systems, which was discussed in principle two, were something I just read about for another class that focuses on literacy development for English learners. What I mean to say is this: while I appreciate that English learners were included at all, I can't help but think that little thought was put into their inclusion. It makes me wonder how I could adapt the nine principles for English learners. 

I feel like the things I have been pondering have just really been me ragging on Tompkins (2017), but I actually really liked the principles she put forth. Principle five, for example, was one that I didn't expect to see included but that I thought was very important for teachers. I feel like standards are only briefly discussed in most textbooks, but teachers are expected to structure their teaching around them. If these are things teachers have to do, teacher candidates should become familiar with them and how to use them. It makes me wonder why so many other textbooks seem to avoid them. Even Muhammad (2020) discusses them very little (other than to mention she is working on rewriting them to infuse HRL into them). How can teacher preparation programs embed work with standards into their curriculum?

2 Comments That Really Inspired Me


"Perhaps the most striking quality is the partnership between the teacher and students: They become a "family" in which all members respect one another and support each other's learning. Students value culturally and linguistically diverse classmates and recognize that everyone makes important contributions" (Tompkins, 2017, pp. 14-15). 

Classroom environment is something I value greatly. When it comes down to it, I think forming relationships and caring for students' needs (whether they be physiological, social, or emotional) are more important that any curriculum. I don't know if this is the right mindset of someone who wants to be a teacher, but I truly believe that a missed year of curriculum is not nearly as devastating as a year of unmet needs. Creating a family like this goes a long way to helping students have their needs met. The learning will come. To me, this, creating a community for the students, is what is most important.

"When I think of the greatest leaders of our time, they hold identity (or a strong sense of self and others), plus skills, intellect, and criticality. On the other hand, the greatest oppressors of the world lack criticality and knowledge of self and of others" (Muhammad, 2020, p. 61).

This quote says it all, doesn't it? The components of the HRL Framework are the same characteristics we want in our leaders. They make for a well-rounded and competent person. Without them, a person lacks empathy and consideration for others. As teachers, we play a role in shaping the future generation. If we want a generation of great leaders, we need to teach like it.

1 Commitment I Want To Make For My Future Students


One commitment I want to make for my future students is this: I will always consider and value who they are as a person - all of their identities - and work to support all facets of their selves.

References

Muhammad, G. (2020). Cultivating genius: An equity framework for culturally and historically responsive literacy. New York, NY: Scholastic.

Tompkins, G.E. (2017). Literacy for the 21st century: A balanced approach (7th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I have every confidence that you *will* fulfill your commitment. I also appreciate the concerns you raised about when and how Tompkins attended specifically to the needs of English Language Learners in chapter 1. I hope you continue to raise questions and bring your additional knowledge to our Deeper Dive discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When I think of the greatest leaders of our time, they hold identity (or a strong sense of self and others), plus skills, intellect, and criticality. On the other hand, the greatest oppressors of the world lack criticality and knowledge of self and of others" (Muhammad, 2020, p. 61).

    I love that you extracted this quote as there does seem to be a fine line between leaders who build versus destroy. Just today I was thinking how maybe the best leaders are ones who are unapologetic... but by this definition, that would also be the worst. So I'll go with this one you've extracted from Muhammad for now. As you said, it says it all! Thanks, Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete

Entry #11: This Is The End *cues Adele's "Skyfall"*

Reflections on Content We dove deeper into a variety of topics within literacy development this semester, and these are just a few that stoo...